Assessment of the iteration that has ended

The previous iteration was Subplot milestone 15.

There were no actions from the previous meeting.

Subplot development has been quiet, mostly due to work, but some progress is being made.


The hosting situation

We reviewed the billing page for Subplot on It all looks OK.

We will review the billing page every iteration or two.

Repository review

We reviewed issues (see below) and MRs. We made the decision to keep the reference test MR open until the release process during the next iteration.

We also checked in on CI pipelines for all the projects in the Subplot group on

Repository Open issues Closed issues Open MRs Merged MRs CI
subplot-container-images 1 7 0 6 OK (GitLab)
subplot-web 0 5 0 93 OK (Ambient)
subplot 48 296 0 354 OK (GitLab)

Extra branches: none.

Recurring items issues

There are some issues tagged recurring-agenda-item in the issue tracker, which we discuss in every iteration meeting.

  • subplot#119Subplot is in not in Debian unstable
    • Our plan is to wait until we can do cargo update using the Rust toolchain in Debian testing without having to adjust any of the dependencies to newer version, before we approach Debian about packaging Subplot.
    • We hope that an active Debian developer has interest in Subplot, as we neither in position to actively help in maintaining packages in Debian of Subplot and its dependencies. Time will tell if this happens.
    • Our MSRV should now be new enough that we no longer need to be careful about cargo update, but this needs to be confirmed.


Goal 4: new current goal

High level description of goal 4:

  • It is plausible for someone to write a new Subplot for their project without support from Lars or Daniel.
  • We shall aim for someone to do the above at or around Christmas 2023
  • There shall be at least some general “Acceptance testing with Subplot” documentation as well as the expected usage material.

Things we might want issues for etc.

  1. Installation document
  2. Getting started.
    • Introduction to acceptance criteria
    • Tutorial / my-first-subplot-document
  3. Step library documentation
  4. General reference material for Python and Rust runners
  5. Installable binary (cargo install is too much for non-Rust people)
    • Maybe a .deb?
    • Maybe just a downloadable binary and a
  6. Tolerable HTML output
    1. Correct (not broken HTML as it is right now)
    2. Table of contents
    3. Some styling support (even if not a pretty style yet)
    • Maybe this involves templating the HTML somewhat?

Order of work:

  • Engineering: 5, then 6.1 (maybe incl some of 6.3), then the rest of 6
  • Documentation: 2, then 1 (once 5 is done), then 3, then 4.

(Related issues on gitlab)

Plan for new iteration


We did a review of new and changed issues. We made changes that Lars forgot to make notes of.

We created Subplot milestone 16 with the following issues:

  • Subplot issue 346Our CI should fail if a library isn’t sufficiently documented.
    • Lars will change subplot libdocgen to fail if a library doesn’t have non-empty documentation for each step, with an option --merciful to allow that. He will then change ./check to use libdocgen to produce formatted documentation for every library shipped with Subplot.
  • Subplot issue 344The generated reference manual need to be published on
    • Lars will change Subplot CI to publish the generated library documentation on
    • This requires Subplot issue 346 to be done first.
  • Subplot issue 345Add formatting markers (eg. classes) to all captures
    • Lars will change how scenarios are typeset (not as a <pre> block, but as separate lines in a paragraph) and make captures are indicated with a <span> with a suitable class.
  • container#8Update baseline from bullseye to bookworm
    • Daniel will change the Dockerfile to use bookworm instead of bullseys and fix anything that breaks.
  • Subplot issue 342Create automated release artifacts
    Subplot issue 305 – _Maybe create binary releases?
    • Lars and Daniel will collaborate on these.
  • Subplot issue 339Doesn’t warn about untyped captures in bindings files
    • Daniel will fix this.


No additional actions.

Meeting participants

  • Daniel Silverstone
  • Lars Wirzenius