Review of actions from last meeting

Actions from last time, and their status are:

  • Daniel to ask other Subplot contributors about licence change (Subplot issue 229). DONE We have re-licensed.

Review of the iteration that has ended

Subplot milestone 39 had the following issued closed:

We made no progress on:

Significant progress was made on:

We moved the remaining open issues to the next milestone (Subplot milestone 40) and then closed off this iteration.

Review of the repositories

Currently open MRs:

Extra branches unrelated to MRs:

  • subplot: none
    • subplot-rust – Daniel is keeping this around until he has completed the work on Subplot issue 198.
    • polyglot-docs – Daniel is working on Subplot issue 198 here.
    • docgen-cmark – Lars is working on making docgen use cmark rather than pandoc for the initial parse and processing.
  • subplot-web: none
  • subplot-container-images: none


  • subplot: clean
  • subplot-web: none
  • subplot-container-images: clean, and we triggered the one to build a new container image

Current goal (goal 2; not changed for this iteration)

Subplot provides a set of libraries with identical capabilities in each of the supported languages. Python remains a supported language. Rust is promoted to supported-language status. Subplot will be tested with all supported languages. In addition, any quality of life improvements which can be done shall be done. This goal will be considered complete when a release of Subplot has been made with the unified language handling support complete.

Issue review

We had 50 open issues at the start of the meeting.

We reviewed non-someday-maybe issues for subplot for all issues. We made the following changes:

  • Subplot issue 133 No feature table comparing scenario runners… was tentatively added to the milestone.
  • Subplot issue 141 subplotlib: Needs better test suite was tentatively added to the milestone for Daniel to do further breakdown.
  • Subplot issue 207 Release process is too manual… was assigned to Daniel and tentatively added to the milestone.
  • Subplot issue 214 Lacks example and docs for Rust step functions was assigned to Lars and tentatively added to the milestone
  • Subplot issue 218 Automatable parts of release process are too manual was tentatively added to the milestone and assigned to Daniel
  • Subplot issue 221 Command line tool has insufficient logging was tentatively added to the milestone
  • Subplot issue 241 ./check doesn’t build/test all of the workspace we removed the blocker issue marker, and tentatively added it to the milestone.
  • Subplot issue 250 subplotlib could do with unit tests is part of Subplot issue 141.
  • Subplot issue 251 and Subplot issue 252 are at least partially stuck because of our MSRV.
  • Subplot issue 253 We depend on a crate with a GPL-3.0-or-later licence We expect Lars will release a new roadmap with MIT-0, as such once that’s done, this issue will be resolved by way of an MR with a Cargo.{toml,lock} update.
  • Subplot issue 254 Make release… was assigned to Daniel and put tentatively into the milestone.

We left the docker-for-subplot issue alone, and subplot-web had no issues.

Other discussion

  • We had a discussion and agreed that goal 2 doesn’t need significant QoL changes right now.

Plan for next iteration

We opened Subplot milestone 40 to cover this iteration, with the following issues:

We removed the assignments for following issues during the review/plan, but left them in the iteration just in case.

Other business

  • We decided to make a release of whatever is in the main branch and label it 0.3.2 or 0.4.0, depending on whether it has breaking changes or not.

  • We are not yet ready to file an RFP bug to get Subplot packaged for Debian. It will happen after we think we won’t be making breaking changes anymore.

  • We are not yet ready to make a whole code base review of Subplot. However we feel at least part of the new goal 3 will be reviewing a portion of the code.

  • We will switch an issue based agenda when other people join the meeting.

  • We won’t be reaching out for feedback until goal 3 is done.

  • We will continue to work on our talk outline while waiting for the FOSDEM CfP.

  • If the FOSDEM talk looks suitable, we’ll submit it to Rustfest too.

  • Regarding the media repository question - we believe this is premature at this point - once we are ready to write the talk mentioned above, it will be time for the repository.

  • Lars will be opening communications with the WMF around supporting their use of Subplot for scap.

  • We do not want to replace ./check for now, and we do not want to drop Python support as a test language. Eventually we want to replace ./check with something in Rust, but not in this goal.


  • Daniel and Lars to keep an eye on the FOSDEM CfP (30th Nov) and together decide if/where to submit a talk.